Kids can be picky eaters. I’m lucky in that I didn’t really get a picky eater till my third one. Whether kids like the meal you’ve made or not, however, presentation is usually key.
My food advice today is:
Make the food appear more interesting.
A few ways to do this include:
- Cutting it into cool shapes, especially their favorite ones.
- Allowing them to choose toppings or arrangements. This works well for meals like tacos or potato bar.
- Serving it as a sandwich mouth (with olive or grape eyes) or an octopus veggie tray.
- Hiding veggies in tiny diced form in their mashed potatoes or sandwich.
- Having the food talk to them about how much it wants to swim in their tummy.
I’m also a big fan of telling them they need to try just a taste of what I make. It doesn’t always work, especially with sensory issues, but it’s a good standard when you can have it.
Plus, there’s always bribery (dessert).