Tonight’s fare is an oldie but a goodie: French Dip Sandwiches.
I frequently have nights where it’s just about dinnertime and I need a meal, quick. Or, I have days where I finally squeezed in that grocery store trip and need to think up a week’s worth of dinners.
This recipe has very few preparation steps. Maybe you’re thinking it’s hardly a recipe idea at all, but I appreciate that I can make it with few ingredients and with little time.
French Dip Sandwiches
Sliced roast beef
Cheese, if desired
1 packet Au Jus Gravy mix
OR 1 recipe homemade Au Jus Gravy
Skillet or toaster oven
Cheese knife (if using cheese)
- Prepare Au Jus Gravy according to packet or recipe, by whisking it into water in the small pot and heating to boiling.
- While the gravy dip is heating, cut hoagie rolls in half lengthwise. Apply butter to each inside part, then fry over medium heat in the skillet. Set aside.
- Heat roast beef slices over low heat in the skillet or in the microwave.
- Top one half of the hoagie roll liberally with roast beef and a slice of cheese (if preferred).
- Serve each sandwich on a plate with a small cup of Au Jus.
Not all of my kids liked the taste of dipping their sandwich into Au Jus, but they were willing to try it. In the end, my pickiest eater took the roast beef off the roll and ate everything separately.
I like serving this quick, easy, cheap meal with common, healthy sandwich sides: carrot sticks, apple slices, olives, fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.